Protimeter Surveymaster Moisture Meter
Rapid, non-invasive, and pin moisture evaluation in wood and other building materials
Need Help? Call a Temperature Engineer 1-800-884-4967
We're open 8:00am to 5:30pm ET
- Digital LCD
- Adjustable audible tone
- Adjustable auto switch off
- Optional hammer electrode or EIFS probe available
- 2-year warranty for manufacturing defects
What's in the Box
- 5in insulated, deep wall probe
- Moisture probe
- 2 spare pins
- 9V battery
- Carrying pouch with belt loop
The Protimeter Surveymaster moisture meter is used for moisture measurement in buildings. Excessive moisture in buildings will lead to decay and deterioration of components and decorative finishes. Professionals involved with the identification, management, and remedy of dampness need the Protimeter Surveymaster moisture meter to help them to identify the extent of the moisture penetration, diagnose the cause of the probe and monitor change in the moisture level.
The unique Protimeter Surveymaster moisture meter has two modes of operation - search and measure. Search and measure help the user to distinguish sub-surface from surface moisture, essential information when trying to establish the extent and cause of a dampness problem.
Search Mode - Non-Invasive
The Protimeter Surveymaster moisture meter features a search mode to be used to assess the moisture level beneath the surface of solid walls and floors independently of surface conditions. The nominal depth of the measurement is 3/4 in (19 mm); this depends on the density and other characteristics of the material. When held against the surface, the Protimeter Surveymaster moisture meter transmits a signal into the material. The relative moisture level is shown on the digital display and its moisture condition is shown on the accompanying scale of color-coded lights. This measurement presentation helps the user to:
- Look for moisture behind wall and floor coverings, such as tile and vinyl
- Assess, in relative terms, if the material is in a dry, borderline or damp condition
- Map the extent of the problem numerically
- Non-invasive pinless radio frequency finds moisture at depth where moisture is not always directly visible - up to 3/4 in (25.4 mm) below the surface
- This mode of measurement is not adversely affected by the presence of surface moisture
The Protimeter Surveymaster moisture meter features a measure mode, which is used to measure the moisture level at the surface and at incremental depth when used with the auxiliary deep wall probes. Measure mode readings are precise and specific to the immediate area of contact of the electrodes. The actual moisture content of wood is shown on the Protimeter Surveymaster moisture meter's digital display with the corresponding moisture condition shown on the accompanying scale of color-coded lights. Wood Moisture Equivalent (WME) values are shown for other non-conductive, porous building materials.
- Pin-type probes measure moisture in wood and other building materials (use provided calibration chart for more precise readings).
- Deep wall probes establish the presence of moisture in wall cavity insulation, sub and surface structures.
Applications for the Protimeter Surveymaster Moisture Meter
- Shower pans, behind ceramic tile, fine finishes, water stains, tile and vinyl floor converings, joists, around toilets, drywall, below grade floors and walls, plaster, masonry, concrete and concrete block.
- Wood and wood floors, drywall, concrete and concrete block, stucco, plaster, masonry and EIFS.
Options Available to the Protimeter Surveymaster Moisture Meter
Exterior Insulation and Finished Systems (EIFS) probe finds moisture in exterior insulation finishing systems; hammer electrode for wood floors.
This product can be used in the following applications:
Here's how some of our customers used this product.
Powder Post Beetles
The Background: Our customer is a home inspector who encountered a home with many pinholes in the framing lumber. He suspects there are powder post beetles in the wood.
The Problem: Powder post beetles are like termites and are capable of causing significant damage to wood. Unlike termites, however, powder post beetles cannot live in wood with a moisture content below 20% so, rather than poison the beetles, eradication involves drying the wood that has been exposed to the beetles. This requires accurate moisture measurement.
The Solution: We suggested the Protimeter Surveymaster moisture meter which allowed the inspector to verify that the current conditions were ideal for powder post beetles. The inspector was able to recommend some ways to remediate moisture and later verify that the moisture was below 20%.