Now is the Best Time to Upgrade to the Emerson AMS Trex Device Communicator
Today’s commercial and industrial facilities employ a sophisticated array of sensors and instruments to monitor and control the various processes that keep operations running. Depending on the size of the facility, there may be hundreds of sensors measuring temperature, level, pressure, or flow along with many controllers, recorders, valves and other instruments performing specific functions that may be critical to the operation of the facility.
Keeping plants fully operational, safe, and profitable requires the equipment to be running at peak performance. Modern process instruments often require complex configuration and calibration settings as well as advanced diagnostics to identify problems before they become serious. The ability to update and monitor these instruments is paramount and complicated by the fact that many of them are in hazardous or inaccessible locations.
Understanding that enabling communication with sensors and instruments would help reduce set-up time by facilitating the easy transfer of configuration settings and calibration information, Rosemount, a subsidiary of Emerson, developed the HART Communication Protocol in the 1980s. HART (Highway Addressable Remote Transducer) is an open, digital communications protocol that communicates over legacy 4-20mA current loops. Due to the prevalence of 4-20mA based systems in industry and the ease with which it can be integrated into systems, HART has become the global standard for digital communications with more than 70% of all “smart” process instruments supporting HART communications.
The power of HART communicators to quickly interface with process controls, saving time and money while producing better outcomes, makes them essential tools for day-to-day plant operation. Of course, not all HART-equipped device communicators are the same.
Emerson is the industry leader in field communicators. Their venerable 375 and 475 field communicators dominated the market for decades with cutting edge technology and performance. The AMS Trex, Emerson’s next-generation field communicator, builds upon the legacy of those models delivering the most sophisticated field communicator available today.
The AMS Trex has all of the functionality users have come to expect with top-of-the-line field communicators while including a full range of advanced features that will forever change what we expect of field communicators.
Popular Features of the Emerson AMS Trex Device Communicator
The AMS Trex is delivered with a complete, pre-installed DD library for over 2,000 HART and Foundation Fieldbus devices for out-of-the-box convenience. It also includes Upgrade Studio, a PC application to help keep the AMS Trex unit up to date with new software and apps. The 5.7” resistive touchscreen display makes navigation easy and the communicator is designed for comfortable, all-day use in the field. Since the Trex is intrinsically safe and capable of withstanding the harsh conditions in and around manufacturing facilities, including moisture and temperature extremes, it is ready for work regardless of the conditions.
The AMS Trex uses an app-based interface that allows access to a number of powerful features, including:
- The Loop Diagnostic app allows you to power the loop in the field and perform loop troubleshooting and checkouts. The app helps with loop characteristic validation and lets you isolate and troubleshoot wiring issues. Powering devices from the communicator allows you to isolate the device from the rest of the system, helping you identify installation problems like power supply, wiring, I/O card, and configuration issues.
- The WirelessHART Provisioning app can configure hundreds of devices with a push of a button allowing you to provision wireless networks in less time, with less chance of error, and in a more secure fashion.
- The Radar Master app brings the power of Radar Master software to the field and helps ensure the measurement and configuration accuracy of your Rosemount radar level transmitters.
- With ValveLink Mobile, you can perform valve diagnostics in the field, including valve signature, dynamic error band, PD one button sweep, and step response, without having to pull the valve or perform invasive troubleshooting steps
- The Auto Sync technology in AMS Trex helps maintain data integrity in your AMS Device Manager database without any technician intervention. Every change made in the field is automatically recorded and time-stamped.
- AMS Inspection Rounds digitizes information collected during inspection routes to drive operations and maintenance activities. Graphical dashboards deliver insight into plant conditions, helping prioritize action, and highlighting critical safety issues.
Two Ways to Save Money on a HART Device Communicator
There has never been a better time to purchase or upgrade to an AMS Trex device communicator. For first-time buyers, the AMS Trex represents the pinnacle of field communicator technology and its vast array of features will help you work smarter. If you already have a field communicator, now is the time to upgrade to an AMS Trex. Emerson is currently offering a 20% savings on all AMS Trex models with a qualified trade-in. Just provide the model and the serial number of your old communicator and you’ll qualify for the trade-in allowance.
Additionally, Instrumart has established a rental program for Emerson AMS Trex Device Communicators. For either a week-long or month-long period, your company will be able to capitalize on all the features of the AMS Trex communicator without having to make the initial investment.
Call us now at 1-800-884-4967 to speak with an engineer or visit our AMS Trex page to get started.
Still Need Help? Call an Engineer Today
If this post still leaves you wondering what type of industrial instrumentation would work best for your application, our engineers would be happy to help you. Give them a call at 1-800-884-4967. Or, you can shop for a wide range of industrial instrumentation from top brands and even configure your product online. We offer free lifetime tech support with every product sold.