What Do I Do When My BW Gas Detector Needs Calibrating?
Instrumart: A One Stop Shop for BW Products & Services
Gas detectors, although small in stature, are of great importance. Finding yourself with a malfunctioning gas detector could potentially cost you more than your job. Due to the severity of these applications, great emphasis should be placed on the importance of calibrations and repairs. Never be without your trusty, calibrated, sidekick.
Get Expert Advice
When a gas detector sensor fails, you must replace it before proceeding with calibration. Fortunately for you, that could not be easier when you choose Instrumart as your authorized BW Technologies Calibration & Repair Center. With our in house applications engineers and lab technicians working closely together, we can get your BW Gas detector back in working order.
You can request a price online, or call and speak to an engineer to an engineer directly to discuss specific application needs. This is the fastest way to get the most accurate suggestions from the best engineer for the application.
Common Causes For Calibration Drift
- Exposure to phosphates
- Degradation of phosphorus-containing components
- Degradation of lead-containing components
- Gradual chemical degradation of sensors and drift in electronic components that generally occur over time
- Use in extreme environmental conditions, such as high/low temperature and humidity, and high levels of airborne particulates
- Exposure to high concentrations of the target gases and vapors
- Exposure of catalytic hot-bead LEL sensors in the instruments to volatile silicones, hydride gases, halogenated hydrocarbons, and sulfide gases
- Exposure of electrochemical toxic gas sensors to solvent vapors and highly corrosive gases
- Handling/jostling of the equipment causing enough vibration or shock over time to affect electronic components and circuitry
Calibrations In the Field
At the risk of rendering your unit completely ineffective, we do not recommend in-field calibrations as your first choice. To restore the highest level of accuracy and maintain the product’s longevity, it is best to get this done at authorized BW Technology Calibration & Repair Centers. When you choose to use Instrumart as an authorized repair center, we aim to have the unit returned to you in no longer than a week.
Proceed with Caution
Although there is slightly more risk to the unit in doing it yourself, we will teach you the correct way to perform a quick, one-off calibration. These are only recommended when time is not on your side, and you have everything you need to get calibrated. Use your best discretion.
Step-By-Step Calibration for All MicroClip, Max XT, and Quattro Gas Detectors
- Start with the unit in regular operating mode, turn the unit off, holding it past the off countdown, entering calibration countdown.
- The unit will auto-zero the sensors. Make sure your gas is set up and ready for when it reads “apply gas” so there is no scrambling for the hose.
- Connect the test cap and open the regulators all the way.
- Follow the intuitive prompts given by the unit, such as when to apply and remove the gas. You will follow these prompts for about one minute.
Safety, First and Foremost
Ultimately, it is the user's responsibility to understand and evaluate the importance of the accuracy and well being of the unit. If you are unsure, DO NOT risk your safety or the safety of others. Although it may be a quick fix, it could also lead to more problems if done improperly. Better to be safe than sorry. Let the experts handle it.
For further assistance, or any questions, comments, or concerns, visit Instrumart.com or call at 1-800-884-4967 to speak with an application engineer. We offer free full tech support with every product we sell.