Fox Thermal FT2A Mass Flow Meter
Thermal mass flow meter and temperature transmitter with inline and insertion options for gas applications
Mo-Th 8am to 5:30pm. Fr 8am to 5pm ET
- SCFM, NM3/hr, Lbs/hr, Kg/hr and more
- 100 to 1 turndown typical range
- Measures process gas temperature
- 4 to 20mA for flow & temperature; pulse output for flow/total
- Communication options: USB port, Isolated RS485 Modbus, BACnet MS/TP, Profibus-DP, DeviceNet or Ethernet Modbus TCP
- Insertion and in-line models
- Welded 316 SS sensor
- Hastelloy C276 sensor optional
- Microprocessor based, field programmable electronics
- On-board 2 line x 16 character, backlit display
- NIST traceable calibration
- Low-end sensitivity for leak detection
- Negligible pressure drop
- No moving parts design
- FM & FMc Class I, II, III, Div 2, Groups A, B, C, D, E, F, G T4A hazardous locations
- NEMA 4X and CE approved
The Fox Thermal FT2A mass flow meter and temperature transmitter measures two important process variables in one rugged instrument. The Fox FT2A measures gas flow rate in standard units without the need for temperature or pressure compensation. It provides isolated 4 to 20mA and pulse outputs for flow rate, and a 4 to 20mA output for process gas temperature. The pulse output is normally used for totalization.
Use the on-board 2 line x 16 character, backlit display to view flow rate, total, elapsed time, process gas temperature, and alarms. The display is also used in conjunction with the Configuration Panel to configure flow meter settings, pulse output frequency scaling, pipe area, zero flow cutoff, flow filtering (damping), display configurations, diagnostics and high or low alarm limits.
The Fox FT2A is available in both insertion and in-line models. The insertion meter is easily installed by drilling a 3/4" hole in the pipe and welding on a 3/4 inch NPT coupling. A Fox supplied compression fitting secures the probe in place. The inline model is available in 1/4 to 6 inch sizes and includes built in flow conditioners that eliminate the need for long, straight pipe runs. The meter can be ordered with flange or NPT end connections.
Both models are supplied with 316 stainless steel wetted materials standard or Hastelloy C-276 as an option (inline flow bodies also available in carbon steel). A USB port to connect to a computer or laptop is standard; interface options include RS485-Modbus, BACnet MS/TP, Profibus-DP, DeviceNet or Ethernet Modbus TCP.
Fox has certified cleaning and bagging procedures for flow meters to be used in oxygen applications.
- Fox Thermal FT2A Mass Flow Meter Manual PDF (4.1 MB)
- Fox Thermal FT2A Mass Flow Meter Modbus & BACnet MS/TP Manual PDF (1.5 MB)
- Fox Thermal FT2A Mass Flow Meter Profibus, DeviceNet & Modbus TCP Ethernet Manual PDF (1.3 MB)
- Fox Thermal FT2A Application Data Form (622 KB)
- Fox Thermal FT2 & FT2A Comparison PDF (219 KB)
- Fox Thermal FT2A Mass Flow Meter Display Configuration Codes PDF (650 KB)
These additional components are required for the operation of your product. We strongly advise you to purchase these components unless you already own them or own a suitable alternative.
Please consider these optional accessories.
This product can be used in the following applications:
Here's how some of our customers used this product.
Dual Gas Calibration
The Background: Our customer is an industrial facility that wants to monitor the amount of fuel used by piece of machinery.
The Problem: The piece of machinery in question can use both propane and natural gas. The fuel used at any given time depends on cost, availability and other factors. Most gas flow meters must be calibrated to a specific gas type. The customer does not want to have one flow meter for natural gas and another for propane.
The Solution: With the ability to be calibrated for 2 different gases the Fox Thermal FT2A allowed the customer to accurately meter fuel usage with a single meter regardless of the fuel being used. The user simply switched between the saved calibrations with the built in display interface.
N2 Gas Accountability
The Background: Our customer is large national laboratory that has an onsite nitrogen generator.
The Problem: The nitrogen generator is very costly to operate. Until now, the billing for the N2 gas was distributed evenly throughout each of the lab’s divisions. An audit found that $3 million in N2 gas went unclaimed, so the lab wants to install meters on each pipeline that supplies the different lab divisions to accurately bill for the amount of N2 gas used by each division.
The Solution: We recommended the Fox Thermal FT2A mass flow meter. The FT2A is ideal for this application as it can totalize the mass of flowing N2 despite changing temperatures and pressures. The meters were ordered with remote transmitters so the electronics can remain indoors, safe from the elements.