GE Panametrics PanaFlow MV80 Flow Meter
Inline vortex flow meter ideal for steam and gas applications
Need Help? Call 1-800-884-4967 8:00am to 5:30pm ET
- LCD digital display and 6-button keypad
- High accuracy and stability
- Measures volumetric flow, temperature, pressure, density, and mass flow using a single meter
- Measures most gases, liquids and steam without the need to recalibrate
- Sizes from 1/2 in to 8 in (15 mm to 200 mm)
- Remote monitoring and integration to DCS using HART and Modbus communication protocols
- FM USA/Canada-approved, explosion-proof and dust ignition-proof
The inline GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80 vortex flow meter is the next generation vortex meter. The multivariable design of the GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80 vortex flow meter consists of a vortex shedding velocity sensor, an RTD temperature sensor and a solid state pressure transducer that measures the mass flow rate of steam, gases, and liquids.
Other meter types use external process measurements to calculate mass flow. The temperature and pressure devices are typically not installed in the same location as the flow meter. Process conditions can vary greatly between the two locations, causing inaccurate mass flow readings. The GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80 vortex flow meter measures velocity, temperature and pressure at the same location, which provides more accurate process measurement.
Integrating pressure and temperature into the vortex flow meter simplifies system complexity and helps minimize initial capital costs, as well as reduce the installation costs. There is no need to purchase additional instrumentation to monitor pressure and temperature since the GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80 vortex flow meter will output all parameters to your data acquisition system. The product line is available with a wide range of options and meter configurations to meet your specific application requirements.
Models of the GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80 Vortex Flow Meter
The GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80 vortex flow meter is available in a number of configurations to best suit your application measurement needs.
- PanaFlow™ MV80-VTP
- The GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80-VTP vortex flow meter offers flow computer functionality in a compact field device. This multivariable instrument incorporates temperature and pressure sensors to provide an instantaneous reading of compensated mass flow rate of gases, liquids and steam. In addition to outputs for totalized mass and alarm settings, the GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80-VTP vortex flow meter's field configurable electronics deliver up to three analog 4-20 mA outputs of five process measurements, including volumetric flow rate, mass flow rate, pressure temperature and density.
- PanaFlow™ MV80-VT
- The GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80-VT vortex flow meter integrates a precision 1000 ohm platinum RTD temperature sensor used to calculate and output a compensated mass flow reading. The GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80-VT vortex flow meter is typically used to measure flow rates of saturated steam.
- PanaFlow™ MV80-V
- The GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80-V vortex flow meter delivers a direct reading of volumetric flow rate - generally the most cost-effective solution for liquid flow monitoring - in applications ranging from general water flows to hydrocarbon fuel flow measurement.
- PanaFlow™ MV80-EM
- The GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80-EM vortex flow meter's energy monitoring option enables real time-of-flight diffraction calculation of energy consumption for a facility or process. The meter can be programmed to measure steam, hot water or chilled water. This option uses the GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80-EM vortex flow meter to monitor one side of the process, either sent or return, and uses the input from a second separate temperature sensor on the opposite leg of the process to calculate the change in energy. Selectable energy units include BTU, joules, calories, Watt-hours, Megawatt-hours and Horsepower-hours. The local or remote electronics indicate two temperatures, delta T, mass total and energy total.
Applications for the GE Panametrics PanaFlow™ MV80 Vortex Flow Meter
- Ideal for high temperature and high velocity steam
- Power Generation—steam applications
- Industrial - HVAC, district energy management
- Commercial - building, campus and facility energy management
- Oil & gas - allocation of natural gas
- Petrochemical - mass balancing, reaction processes heating
This product can be used in the following applications:
Here's how some of our customers used this product.
Monitoring Steam Heating Systems
The Background: Our customer is a university that seeks ways to maximize the efficiency of a steam heating system that is utilized by many buildings on campus
The Problem: The central steam plant needs to accurately monitor which buildings are using heat and how much they are requiring at any given time so that they can accurately control their boilers. Monitoring the steam distribution also lets the maintenance crew know if there is a problem that they need to address in any of the buildings.
The Solution: We recommended the GE Panametrics MV80 vortex flow meter since it is optimized for steam applications. The MV80 has built in steam tables that allow it to monitor the temperature of the process and accurately convert the velocity measurement into lbs/hour or any number of other units. This allows for much better accuracy than other types of measurement systems that are not built and calibrated as one unit.